RE: Testing Squid with Polygraph

From: Ahuja Sadhna (NRC/Boston) (Sadhna.Ahuja@nokia.com)
Date: Wed Oct 03 2001 - 13:04:51 MDT

Hi Duane,
        Thanks for your prompt reply. Here are answers to the questions
you asked:

> How many disk drives in your Squid? What kind?

Just one drive - an IBM ATA drive, 9GB.

> Did you try a proxy-only (all replies uncachable) workload?

Yes, there are no errors in this case.

> Did you recompile Squid after increasing kern.maxfiles? Does
> Squid see the new filedescriptor limit?

I hadn't done this earlier, but now I have. Squid sees the new limit as
its SQUID_MAXFD value. With this change, after running the tests for
some time, I see the following message continuously on Squid:
comm_open: socket_failure: (55) No buffer space available
But, the Polygraph tests continue to run normally (or at least they look
normal to me).

> Did Squid run out of network mbufs? What does 'netstat -m' say?
> Did you increase NMBCLUSTERS on the Squid box?

I didn't increase NMBCLUSTERS. Here is the output of netstat -m, while
Squid was complaining about no buffer space:

1158/1968/4096 mbufs in use (current/peak/max)
        115 mbufs allocated to data
        1043 mbufs allocated to packet headers
98/930/1024 mbuf clusters in use (current/peak/max)
2352 bytes alloacted to network (76% of mb_map in use)
0 requests for memory denied
0 requests for memory delayed
0 calls to protocol drain routines

> "Host is down" implies that polyclt cannot determine Squid's
> ethernet address. What does 'arp -n' say? What kind of NICs and
> switch are you using?

I am sorry I was getting the "Host is down" message because of a stupid
configuration error on my part. I have resolved it now.

Will the results that I am logging, while Squid is still complaining,
make any sense? Should I reduce the request rate even lower than 50
req/sec? What else could be wrong?

Thanks for your help,
Sadhna.