Re: Testing Squid with Polygraph

From: Duane Wessels (wessels@measurement-factory.com)
Date: Tue Oct 02 2001 - 14:23:29 MDT

On Tue, 2 Oct 2001, Ahuja Sadhna (NRC/Boston) wrote:

> Hi,
> I am trying to test my Squid cache with the polymix-3 workload.
> (Note: Sorry, I am still using older versions - Polygraph 2.5.4 and
> Squid 2.3-STABLE4). I am running polysrv on 1 machine and polyclt on
> another. The request rate being used is 50 req/sec, which I think is
> quite low. But, after running for a few minutes, I start seeing
> "Connection Refused" and "Host is down" errors on the polyclt side and
> then no more requests are generated. Squid does not seem to complain
> about anything. (It did complain about 'no buffer space available' when
> I first tried to run the test with higher request rates).
> I also doubled up the values of kern.maxfiles and
> kern.maxfilesperproc on the FreeBSD box running Squid, but same results.
> I have used the same machines with Polygraph to test a cache
> from another vendor with request rate = 400 req/sec, so I don't think
> the Polygraph machines are a problem here. So, is there something
> special that I need to do to test Squid?

How many disk drives in your Squid? What kind?

Did you try a proxy-only (all replies uncachable) workload?

Did you recompile Squid after increasing kern.maxfiles? Does
Squid see the new filedescriptor limit?

Did Squid run out of network mbufs? What does 'netstat -m' say?
Did you increase NMBCLUSTERS on the Squid box?

"Host is down" implies that polyclt cannot determine Squid's
ethernet address. What does 'arp -n' say? What kind of NICs and
switch are you using?