Re: Packet sizes ?

From: Alex Rousskov (rousskov@measurement-factory.com)
Date: Mon Oct 01 2001 - 10:23:01 MDT

On Mon, 1 Oct 2001, Bill Woods wrote:

> What size packets does polygraph use

Polygraph relies on the operating system to stuff HTTP/TCP messages
into packets. Polygraph does not implement TCP stack and does not
control packet sizes. It can only report network I/O sizes, but that
is not the same as packet sizes.

> and is it possible to make these smaller ?

Sure! The method will depend on your OS. The simplest thing is
probably changing the MTU size for the network interface. Search for
"mtu" in "man ifconfig" if you are using Unix. More elaborate schemes
would involve also configuring per-packet delays and loss like we do
at cache-offs with FreeBSD and its Dummynet.

HTH,

Alex.