Re: Firewall benchmarking with polygraph

From: Alex Rousskov (rousskov@measurement-factory.com)
Date: Tue Feb 20 2001 - 08:22:07 MST

On Tue, 20 Feb 2001, Hamid Reza Shahriari wrote:

> I want to benchmark a firewall with polygraph. My important parameters to
> measure are max http and ftp throughput, and response time.
> It sounds to be possible if the firewall acts in transparent mode and the
> polyclts act in no-proxy mode or 0% hit rate.
> - Is it possible?

Sure. If firewall is "transparent", Polygraph will work just like with
any transparent proxy; robots talking directly to servers.

> - Does any version of polygraph generate ftp load?

No.

> - Or Do you know any other tool?

I do not know any FTP benchmarks. You can probably use wget or a
similar tool with a large log of FTP URLs. However, if the resources
are located on remote servers, your performance measurements will not
be reproduceable and may not be stable.