RE: tool supported for ISA under Windows

From: Alex Rousskov (rousskov@measurement-factory.com)
Date: Thu Feb 15 2001 - 20:33:01 MST

On Thu, 15 Feb 2001, Yeakley, Don A (SAIC) wrote:

> When do you expect version 2.6 for Windows clients to be available?

The official release will probably happen within a month or so. We
can, however, give you a pre-release if you are interested in testing
it for us. We should be able to do that within 10 days or so (TMF is
working on the W2K part of the release as we speak). Please contact me
off-list if interested.

Personally, I am somewhat skeptical that W2K port will immediately
perform as well as Unix versions. I suspect we will have to teach
Polygraph some Windows-specific network I/O models (e.g. overlapping
I/Os) before its performance on Windows can match Unix versions.
Supporting alternative I/O models will be a challenge, but it can be
done given sufficient demand.

Besides performance, there are some FreeBSD/Unix features not readily
available on Windows. For example, packet-level WAN simulation used in
PolyMix-2,3. I am sure one can find some substitutes for those
packages though.