Re: Run-time messages

From: Alex Rousskov (rousskov@ircache.net)
Date: Wed Dec 29 1999 - 12:45:56 MST

On Wed, 29 Dec 1999, Daniel Chandran wrote:

> Does polyclt have issues when the IP aliases used on a client machine are
> different Class than the primary IP used by the machine?

In general, no.

> My client machine is a Ultra-2 running Solaris 2.6 and following is the IP
> allocation scheme I have.
>
> Primary IP: 192.168.30.7 (Class C)
> IP Aliases: 10.200.1-4.1-250 ( Similar to the scheme explained in aka doc.)
>
> I've set up the appropriate routes. But polyclt fails with the following error
> message.
>
> ./src/polyclt: cannot get a list of all available network interfaces: (22)
> Invalid argument
>
> Originally I had a scheme of IP aliases 192.168.30.11-210, and I did'nt have any
> problem.

I think this problem was reported before. The interface that Polygraph
has to use to discover local IP addresses is not very portable. When you
get more than 255(?) addresses, the matching algorithm fails on Solaris.
Without root access to a Solaris box, it is hard for us to test/fix the
OS specific code.

However, there is a simple workaround: Use --fake_hosts option. For
example,
        ./polyclt ... --fake_hosts 10.200.1-4.1-250

Fake_hosts bypasses the local IP discovery algorithm. That option was
added primarily for cases like yours.