Web Polygraph testing

From: Lanchester, Paul (Paul.Lanchester@aucs-europe.com)
Date: Tue Dec 07 1999 - 07:56:29 MST

Gentlemen,

I am a technical consultant with an Internet transit carrier based in
Europe. We are investigating the applicability of caching to our
trans-european transit network, and the Internet connectivity services
which we sell. We have read the report from your last bake-off and are
looking forward to the next one in January. It is of particular interest
to us that Inktomi declined to take part in the last one, as they are
one of the organisations applying considerable sales pressure to our
organisation.

We have looked at cache evaluation software, and have come to two
conclusions,

a) most cache manufacturers / vendors have some sort of benchmarking
software which shows their cache to be better than everyone elses.

b) Most published Cache testing involves Ethernet networks, and focuses
on maximum cache performance.

What AUCS (my employer) intends to do is to produce a specification for
testing which will be more typical of the Internet, that is using serial
WAN connections at high percentage utilisations, and to look for
reductions in utilisation and improved response time to the user upon
implementing caching. We would then use this to test a small number of
cache products, to determine the most suitable for our network, and use
the resulting performance figures to justify the costs involved in the
implementation of caching.

As the effort (and costs) involved in setting up a lab such as yours are
not inconsiderable, I would like to ask if you would consider becoming
involved in our project, both in design, and execution of the testing in
your lab. We would be able to obtain any necessary additional hardware
such as Cisco routers and would of course be prepared to pay for your
services either directly, or by means of a donation.

We would be looking to commence design work during January 2000, with
lab testing taking place sometime during February / March.

Please contact me if you are interested in discussing this proposal
further.

Regards,

Paul Lanchester
Senior Technical Consultant