Re: Too many open files problem

From: Y. Charles Hu (ychu@imimic.com)
Date: Wed Dec 01 1999 - 12:47:19 MST

Alex Rousskov wrote:

> On Wed, 1 Dec 1999, Daniel Chandran wrote:
>
> > Whenever I use R**10 to increase the numer of robots with polymix1 or
> > datacomm1, I am
> > getting a lots of "Too many open files" error messages from Connection.cc.
> > There is only one IP defined for rbt_ips.
>
> Well, perhaps the request rate those 10 robots generate is too high for
> your configuration? As a rule of thumb, the close-to-minimum number of
> FDs required for PolyMix-2 can be computed as
> open_conn_lmt * mean_response_time * total_req_rate
> where
> total_req_rate = number_of_robots * req_rate_per_robot

Alex,

I am a little confused by the above formula.
why is open_comm_lmt a multiplicative term?
shouldn't the formular simply be mean_response_time*total_req_rate?

I thought to get high req rate for polymix-2, we should simply remove
open_comm_lmt?
or did I misunderstand?
What Shall I set it to if say I want req_rate_per_robot to be 500 req/sec?
open_conn_lmt certainly limits the effective req_rate_per_robot?

Charles