Re: Too many open files problem

From: Alex Rousskov (rousskov@ircache.net)
Date: Wed Dec 01 1999 - 10:06:17 MST

On Wed, 1 Dec 1999, Daniel Chandran wrote:

> Whenever I use R**10 to increase the numer of robots with polymix1 or
> datacomm1, I am
> getting a lots of "Too many open files" error messages from Connection.cc.
> There is only one IP defined for rbt_ips.

Well, perhaps the request rate those 10 robots generate is too high for
your configuration? As a rule of thumb, the close-to-minimum number of
FDs required for PolyMix-2 can be computed as
        open_conn_lmt * mean_response_time * total_req_rate
where
        total_req_rate = number_of_robots * req_rate_per_robot

Make sure that you are not multiplying the desired total request rate by
10 in your configurations!

For DataComm and PolyMix-1, there is no open_conn_lmt; set it to 1 in
the formula above.